Encouraging Better Cat and Dog Teeth Cleaning in Cypress, TX
How healthy is your pet’s mouth? Most dogs and cats have some form of dental disease by age 2 or 3, yet this condition is 100% preventable. With the proper cat and dog teeth cleaning program in Cypress, TX, every pet can keep their pearly whites healthy and perhaps live a longer life as a result of their dental care. At Lakeside Veterinary Care, our team is wholly dedicated to helping Cypress, TX pets avoid painful oral diseases and enjoy the best quality of life possible.
Is your pet 2 years of age or older? Have they had their teeth cleaned? If not, they could be at risk for dental disease.
Cat and Dog Teeth Cleaning Recommendations
If you have a new puppy or kitten, it’s time to start taking their dental needs seriously. Lack of dental care allows food particles to build up on the surfaces of the teeth and secrete bacteria into the mouth and under the gum line. Gum swelling (gingivitis) is a warning sign for future dental disease and should be addressed right away.
Teeth brushing is one of the most effective methods for cleaning your pet’s teeth. However, brushing can be difficult for owners with less cooperative pets. An alternative teeth cleaning method is to apply pet toothpaste to a square of gauze, wrap it around your finger, and gently rub it along your pet’s gumline. Doing this even just a few times a week can significantly reduce plaque and tartar buildup.
Cats and dogs can also benefit from a diet specifically designed to combat plaque and tartar buildup. This can supplement your pet’s brushing routine and help to extend the amount of time between teeth cleanings at our animal hospital in Cypress, TX. Your veterinarian will be happy to recommend the right diet for your pet’s needs.
Dogs can also get dental chews and dental care treats to further enhance their at-home teeth cleaning regimen. While there are no dental chews for cats, there are plenty of treat options. We recommend dental care products that are endorsed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council, as they meet the highest standards of quality.
Our Professional Cat and Dog Teeth Cleaning Services
We share our lives with pets of our own and understand how critical a healthy mouth is to the well-being of every dog and cat. Therefore, we offer services designed to enhance your pet’s oral health and help prevent all manner of oral diseases from taking root.
These services include:
- Pre-anesthetic blood work prior to your pet’s teeth cleaning procedure to ensure there are no underlying health problems that could increase complications from anesthesia.
- A thorough, tooth-by-tooth exam while your pet is under anesthesia to check for signs of damage and/or infection.
- Probing around the pockets of the teeth to search for signs of disease below the gumline.
- Digital dental X-rays for an even more in-depth look at your pet’s teeth and jawbones to better determine if dental disease is present.
- A complete teeth cleaning that involves scaling each tooth above and below the gumline to remove hardened calculus, polishing the enamel smooth, and flushing the gums to remove debris.
- Extractions (only if needed) to remove teeth that are damaged beyond repair.