Lakeside Veterinary Care offers dental care services for your pets. Learn more below.
How healthy is your pet’s mouth? Most dogs and cats have some form of dental disease by age 2 or 3, yet this condition is 100% preventable. With the proper cat and dog teeth cleaning program in Cypress, TX, every pet can keep their pearly whites healthy and perhaps live a longer life due to their dental care. At Lakeside Veterinary Care, our team is wholly dedicated to helping Cypress, TX, pets avoid painful oral diseases and enjoy the best quality of life possible.
Cat and dog teeth cleaning recommendations.
If you have a new puppy or kitten, it’s time to start taking their dental needs seriously. Lack of dental care allows food particles to build up on the surfaces of the teeth and secrete bacteria into the mouth and under the gum line. Gum swelling (gingivitis) is a warning sign for future dental disease and should be addressed right away.
Teeth brushing is one of the most effective methods for cleaning your pet’s teeth. However, brushing can be difficult for owners with less cooperative pets. An alternative teeth cleaning method is to apply pet toothpaste to a square of gauze, wrap it around your finger, and gently rub it along your pet’s gumline. Doing this even just a few times a week can significantly reduce plaque and tartar buildup.
A Diet That Supports Dental Health
Cats and dogs can also benefit from a diet specifically designed to combat plaque and tartar buildup. This can supplement your pet’s brushing routine and help to extend the amount of time between teeth cleanings at our animal hospital in Cypress, TX. Your veterinarian will be happy to recommend the right diet for your pet’s needs.
Dental Chews and Treats for Dogs and Cats
Dogs can also get dental chews and dental care treats to enhance their at-home teeth further cleaning regimen. While there are no dental chews for cats, there are plenty of treatment options. We recommend dental care products that are endorsed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council, as they meet the highest standards of quality.
We share our lives with pets of our own and understand how critical a healthy mouth is to the well-being of every dog and cat. Therefore, we offer services designed to enhance your pet’s oral health and help prevent all manner of oral diseases from taking root.
These services include:
- Pre-anesthetic blood work prior to your pet’s teeth cleaning procedure ensures no underlying health problems could increase complications from anesthesia.
- A thorough, tooth-by-tooth exam while your pet is under anesthesia to check for signs of damage and/or infection.
- Probing around the pockets of the teeth to search for signs of disease below the gumline.
- Digital dental X-rays for an even more in-depth look at your pet’s teeth and jawbones to better determine if dental disease is present.
- A complete teeth cleaning involves scaling each tooth above and below the gum line to remove hardened calculus, polishing the enamel smooth, and flushing the gums to remove debris.
- Extractions (only if needed) to remove teeth that are damaged beyond repair.