Lakeside Veterinary Care offers dermatology services for your pets. Learn more below.
While our pets may not develop congestion from their allergies, they can still suffer from a variety of unpleasant symptoms. Heavy scratching is a telltale sign that your pet is itchy and uncomfortable, and it could be allergy-related. The best way to find out is to consult with our team in Cypress, TX, to get to the bottom of the issue. Skin disorders are often the result of allergies, but fungal infections and parasites can also cause them. Our practice can examine your pet thoroughly and order testing to see what’s ailing them.
Common Symptoms For Cats & Dogs
It’s not hard to notice if your pet is scratching themselves more than normal, but there are many other signs you should also look for, including:
- Runny eyes and nose
- Unnaturally red, raw-looking skin
- Dry, scaly patches of skin
- Areas of hair loss, including under the legs, around the belly, and between the toes
- A greasy coat
- Chronic ear infections
Don’t wait for your pet’s symptoms to get worse. Schedule an appointment so we can examine your pet and help you resolve their problem before it has a greater impact on their quality of life.
What are dogs & cats allergic to?
Many of the things that cause allergic reactions in humans can make pets allergic, too.
- Pollen (ragweed, oak pollen, etc.)
- Pet and human dander
- Dust mites
- Flea bites
- Chicken, beef, eggs, and wheat found in cat and dog food
- Fabrics such as latex
- Fertilizers and cleaners
Your pet’s treatment plan.
To get your pet’s condition under control, we will need to chart a course of treatment to address their symptoms and root out the underlying cause. This involves:
- Examining your pet from head to tail
- Pursuing testing options if we need to investigate further
- Possibly performing a food trial to see if your pet’s diet is the primary cause
We might also find that your pet’s condition is not due to an allergy at all. Finding out the exact problem will allow us to treat it properly and greatly reduce your pet’s discomfort.